Select Clients and Venues
- MIT, Harvard, NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) and various other clients in science, technology, patent, business, education and other fields.
- Consulate General of Japan in Boston (helped organize and facilitated the space event “Back to the Moon: U.S.-Japan Alliance in a New Space Age” at Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (2019) )
Translation and Interpreting (Remote)
- Science and Technology: patent (320+ specifications), IT (communication, security, storage, ERP, VR, AR, AI, etc.), semiconductor, electrical/mechanical engineering, physics, life science (various techniques, neuroscience, genomics, proteomics, PCR, CRISPR, etc.), chemistry, medicine (various equipment/therapeutics, regenerative medicine, MRI, TMS, etc.), pharmaceuticals, EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) regulations/compliance in Japan/Americas/EU, renewable energy, SDGs, ESG
- Business: various meetings, conventions, executive development, etc.
- Education: helped author monthly textbooks of the popular Japanese radio program “Eikaiwa Time Trial” (英会話タイムトライアル) (2014-2019)
- Art: proofread Handbook of Collections of Philadelphia Museum of Art
Accreditation and Award
- ATA*-certified translator (English to Japanese) 2002-present
* American Translators Association
- Keisen Patent Translator of the Year 2008
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (1988, Astrophysics), Nagoya University, Japan
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (1986, Physics), Nagoya University, Japan
- Japanese : native fluency
- English : near-native fluency
- Sharing the latest knowledge and wisdom with the public for the betterment of the world and the future
- Omi,Y., Shimazu,Y. and Ushimaru,N. (2020) 「使える英語」はなぜ身につかないか (Why Can’t We Use English?). Kaneko Shobo.
Lead Co-founder and Organizer, BJSupp (Boston Japanese Language Education Support Group for Parents), 2010-present
- Support group for parents in the Japanese community in New England. Sharing information and organizing seminars on bilingual education.
Director and Vice President, JAGP (Japanese Association of Greater Philadelphia) Director, 1995-2000
- NPO serving the Japanese community in the Greater Philadelphia region. Participated in the association’s decision-making processes, and published newsletters in Japanese.
- MIT Technology Review Global Panel member, April 2020-present